Saturday, May 2, 2009

Limoncello

My trip wasn't too terrible actually. My flight from Chicago to Munich was....interesting. I think it was the plane of screaming babies. There was a child on there who screamed bloody murder for about 7 out of the 9 hours we were in the air. I think that was enough birth control to last for the rest of my life. Thank goodness I was prepared with ear plugs and an eye mask...I got a tiny bit of sleep on the plane. The Munich airport was weird. I have to admit I get a little freaked out when I see German polic officers for some reason. The whole Nazi thing still throws me for a loop. The flight from Munich to Naples was unbelievable. We flew over the Bavarian Alps and it was gorgeous! There were beautiful green mountains, snow-capped, and tiny German villages in the valleys between. I can't believe people actually live in places like that! My first view of Italy was the coastline so of course that was gorgeous too.

I arrived in the Naples airport at about 4 pm. And that was an experience as well. Italians are a little pushy and it was a bit of a struggle getting by to get my luggage...but I was pretty tough;) I kept looking around and thinking that it was so unfair for people to be that beautiful. Italians are extremely good-looking and always dress to impress. Heath picked me up from the airport and I have to admit that even though my trip alone was fine, I was very happy to see a familiar face. Heath took me to the naval base and showed me around and then we went back to his place to get settled. He lives in an amazing little town in a great apartment...I'm super jealous actually...it's adorable.

Sooo...wow....started off my first night here with a bang! We went to Heath's friend's place...amazing! They are renting this amazing place in a town nearby. They have lemon, tangerine, and olive trees in their yard! We then went to dinner at a local place where they are regulars. They treated us very well there. It's their realtor's son's place....and he definitely hooked us up. We had amazing food, wine and plenty of limoncello. If you've never had it, it's this lemony delicious drink....usually a dessert drink...but lethal because it's so good;) It has a very high alcohol content. Their realtor and his wife met us at the restaurant. They are lovely people, who speak English very well, and we had a great time. We ended the night at a local Italian bar where I tried Kriek...a delicious cherry flavored beer. Lets just say that I'm extremely happy they don't have it in the states because I might have a problem with it....it's that good. Soooo....not going to lie...not feeling the best this morning but it was well worth it. I'm all ready completey in love with Italy and can't wait for more!

We leave for Venice in about an hour so I better get showered up! Wow...here we go! I'll try be in touch as much as possible....depending on computer access. I love you all and hope all is well in the states.

2 comments:

  1. I've already checked out the recipe for limoncello and think we should make a batch...should be ready to drink by Thanksgiving :~)

    Be safe and look forward to seeing some pictures.

    Love ya lots, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I would love that! Limoncello is delicious! And yes, apparently takes awhile to make...haha. Love you too! Hope all is well...

    ReplyDelete