Monday, April 26, 2010

Santorini...heaven on earth

Sorry it took so long to write. It has taken awhile to figure out the Internet thing here. Plus, I'm so in awe of my surroundings that it is difficult to think of anything else really. Brandon and barely made it here yesterday. We took the metro to the airport forgetting that it was sunday and less busy...which means the subway trains are much more infrequent. We made it on the plane by the hair of our chinny chin chins:). And much to our delight, our luggage made it too! I loved Santorini from the moment I laid eyes on it (even before that I guess...from pictures and movies). It is like no place I could have ever imagined and like no place I have ever been before...it's magic. Pictures will do it no justice...but I'm trying like hell to capture it anyway:). It is so different from Athens...polar opposite in fact. I'm glad we did the trip in this order because Athens is a city...hustle and bustle all the time. Santorini is an island. You get the impression that everyone who lives here knows eachother, which is kind of lovely, and also feels very safe. If someone were to rob you they sure as hell wouldn't get very far:). The island is only 28 square miles. It is slow-paced and incredibly relaxing.

Yesterday we got acclimated. We actually watched the sun go down over the ocean for about 3 hours while drinking some wine. Yep...3 hours. It's just so beautiful! The colors change every few minutes...it's amazing. We then got cleaned up (finally) and headed to dinner. It's definitely off season...alot of the restaurants are closed for a few more weeks. But I think it's nice this way. Our hotel is full but the service is great because we may be the only people in a restaurant that night:). The Greek people are so very nice...they've been great and so helpful.

Today we are renting a scooter. So that should be interesting:). The roads twist and turn like crazy but Brandon will be driving so you dont have to worry (ma:). We also have our sailing adventure. It starts at 3 and will be about a 5 hour tour. I'm very excited for it. It's a beautiful day...sunny and warm. Chilly in the wind but lovely out of it. I think summer would be sweltering here. Everything is white and the sun reflects off of it. I would be burnt to a crisp:). Maybe I would be ok...I have that dark Dutch skin you know:).

Ok...I need to get ready for scooting:). I will try write again soon. I hope you all are well.

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know we are reading your blog. Once again I can't wait to see some photo's! Hope your travels continue to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thank you! I love comments! Can't wait to see u guys soon! Love you! (it's Steph...I'm just not signed in)

    ReplyDelete